Posted by Darryl Payne in Sevierville Attractions
Tourism in the Smokies dates back to the 1930s and 1940s, when visitors started coming to the new Great Smoky Mountains National Park. From there, Gatlinburg became a tourism destination thanks to its crafts and its proximity to the park. By the 1970s and 1980s, Pigeon Forge was developing as a tourist stop thanks to the 1982 World's Fair and the opening of Dollywood in 1986.
However, Sevierville didn't start really coming into its own as a destination in its own right until the 1990s. That's when out-of-towners started seeing more and more Sevierville attractions opening for business and bringing the city its rightful share of traffic and visitor dollars. Here are some of the main attractions you'll find:
• Smokies Park – Minor league baseball with the Tennessee Smokies, at Interstate 40 Exit 407.
• Forbidden Caverns –An underground cavern with amazing rock formations.
• Smoky Mountain Deer Farm and Exotic Petting Zoo – This interactive farm gets you up close and personal with amazing animal friends.
• Tennessee Museum of Aviation – See the state's rich history of flight brought to life at this airport museum.
• Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo – More incredible animal species from around the world.
Other blog categories:
Gatlinburg Attractions Gatlinburg, TN Golf Courses Local Events National Park Outdoor Adventure Pigeon Forge Attractions Pigeon Forge, TN Sevierville Attractions Sevierville, TN Smoky Mountain Shows Smoky Mountains Things To Do